If you have a bunch of wires, cables, and power bricks around your desk at home you will one day want to organize it. I finally decided to do something when I couldn’t trace a line from a USB drive to its power source.
For do-it-yourself people this site,Declutter Your Desk, presents a very practical method. He used a Pegboard mounted underneath the desk so that everything could be under the table but off the floor. The site has great pictures of some arrangements and the feedback from visitors give even more ideas. For example, instead of the original hasp and dowel connection, I used the Hanger Bolt and Wing Nut alternative. So my parts list was:
- 5 each 10-24 X 2″ Hanger Bolts, $0.99
- 5 each #10-24 Wing Nuts, 0.99
- Bunch of Zip Ties, 3.95
- Bunch of Twist ties (for wire neatness)
- 1 Pegboard , 5.99
For a total of $11.92. Not too bad. Below is the layout I used. I still have to add my network switch and cable modem. One thing that would have helped is a hinge on one edge of the pegboard so that changes could be made easier. I don’t like the use of zipties, hard to remove, but Velcro straps don’t fit in the Pegboard holes. BTW, how do you screw in a Hanger Bolt? I found the answer here.
Maybe I’ll post a photo of the finished project later…..
- Hack Attack: The Cordless Workspace (sort of)
- Untangling Wires: Peripheral Cable Management Solutions
- SIGNUM at Ikea
- Declutter the mess under your desk
- Ingenuity under your desk
- Declutter Your Desk
- Cable Management to Defeat Clutter?
- The Unclutterer Workspaces on Flickr
- WM25 Wire Stay
Examples of workspaces: