Instead of resizing the screen in order to read a column of text, just double tap on a paragraph of that column. The column will then widen to full horizontal width of screen.
Most web pages are composed of vertical columns with ads and other features on the side columns; the main text is on the center line. Thus, the double tap works most of the time. Even when it works, there still may be a need to drag the page to reposition the newly expanded column.
I don’t know how common this ‘gesture’ UI feature is. Do all browsers running on Android or iOS phones have this capability? They probably have some version of a “smart zoom”.
Tested on Samsung Galaxy Note and Galaxy S3.
- Larger smartphones to be more common?
- Android recovery mode on Galaxy Note I717
- How to auto redial busy line with Android?
- SwiftKey and Swype keyboards for smartphones
- Will first generation Samsung Galaxy Note get Android 4.4 KitKat?