Windows Explorer started hanging when using copy & paste of folders. I noticed that it only involved folders that had a “.git” subfolder.
- Copy a folder and explorer does not refresh; you have to hit F5.
- After the manual refresh, click on a folder and the explorer gets an hour glass.
- The explorer.exe CPU usage reaches 50% and higher.
- Only happens when a subfolder was named “.git”.
- .git folder could even be empty.
Easy approach unsuccessful
I uninstalled Git and TortoiseGit then restarted the system. Still happening. Hmmm, that should have removed everything. Nope, I looked in the Registry and TortiseGit was still hanging around. I removed all traces and then even used ShellExView tool and could not find any shell extension that could be doing this. Using that tool I disabled all non-Windows shell extensions. Still happening.
More tools to help
This happened a month ago so I don’t remember all the steps I took. I used some of the SysInternals tools but they didn’t help much; you need a lot of internal Windows details to really use some of them.
However, I think it was using the Process Manager and looking only at file activity that all the info finally gave me a clue.
5:23:14.4666723 PM explorer.exe 5096 ReadFile C:Documents and Settingst16205Start MenuLocal Disk (C)target.lnk SUCCESS Offset: 0, Length: 299 5:23:14.4668257 PM explorer.exe 5096 QueryInformationVolume C:Documents and Settingst16205Start MenuLocal Disk (C)target.lnk SUCCESS VolumeCreationTime: 9/15/2009 8:47:39 AM, VolumeSerialNumber: 64B6-6315, SupportsObjects: True, VolumeLabel:
It seemed to be hanging at that point!
I looked in the Windows Start Menu list and saw that I had placed a link of the C: drive there. Not a junction or anything fancy, just a drag and drop of a shortcut (I think). I removed that link and the problem was solved.
Back to Git
Reinstalled Git and all is fine, knock on wood.
No explanation yet
Not really debugging, just floundering with a purpose. But, why would this only effect folders named “.git”, when even Git is not even installed. Strange.
Windows XP Professional
- Windows file symlinker gui
- Mobile music briefcase using BitTorrent Sync
- alarm clock windows media player via PowerShell
- How to search using Windows 7 file explorer?
- iPhone 4.0.1 has a Folder limit?